Who can ask for an OP? 2012-09-24T13:11:39+00:00

The victim (or Petitioner) must have, or have had in the past, a familial or dating relationship with the abusive person (or Respondent). Qualifying relationships include:

  • Spouse or former spouse
  • Current or past dating relationship
  • Having a child together
  • Parent, child, stepchild, or other family relationship
  • Current or former roommate
  • Personal assistant/caretaker of person with disabilities

If you do not have one of these types of relationships with the Respondent, a private attorney may be able to assist you with a Civil Restraining Order. For a Legal Resources List, click here.