Children learn ways to stay safe, develop coping skills and process their experience.
Mom and Kids
Phase I of Mom & Kids — Wednesdays 6:30 – 8 p.m. (Fall, Winter, and Spring)
This group is bilingual and focuses on mindfulness, self-care, empowerment, connecting with self and safety planning.
Phase II of Mom & Kids — Mondays 6:30 – 8 p.m. (Fall, Winter, and Spring)
This group is available in Spanish and English. It will focus on processing experiences as a parent, co-parenting with someone who is abusive, effects of DV on children and skill-building to support children.
- Break the isolation around domestic violence
- Learn to stay safe
- Reduce trauma
- Increase coping strategies
- Express themselves creatively
Kids’ Yoga Group
Tuesdays, 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. Downers Grove
- Children age seven and up
- Mindfulness, relaxation and yoga in addition to mindful eating
Teen Creative Writing and Poetry (Closed group with rotations every 12 weeks)
- Age 13-17
- Write and share creative short stories and poetry pieces in a closed, eight-week group.
- Use the creative process to understand and cope with what is going on in the author’s life
Domestic Violence Education Series
Thursdays 6:30 – 8 p.m.
- Available for all children during Adult Domestic Violence Education Group
- Involves movement and activities with peers of their own age to learn:
- Coping strategies
- Identification of feelings and expression
- Identifying safe people
- “Red flags”
- Safety planning
- Non-violent communication
- Family Counseling
- Family Groups
Children and non-offending parent gain safety and communication skills, improve bonding and enhance their relationship, so that they can heal. By working together to support and reinforce one another, parents and children can be successful in their healing journey.
Can be conducted individually or as a group to help the non-offending parent:
- Break the isolation and create a support system
- Process their experience concerning their children
- Recognize the effects of domestic violence and its influence on children
- Learn new skills for supporting their children