What is Abuse?
Domestic Abuse — A Silent Epidemic
Is domestic abuse common?
- Each year, approximately 2 million women are severly assaulted by male partners.
- Each year, an estimated 3.3 million children witness domestic abuse.
- Each year, 40% of teenage girls ages 14-17 report knowing someone their age who has been hit or beaten by a boyfriend.
What is the effect on society?
- Businesses pay an estimated $3 to $5 billion a year in medical expenses associated with domestic violence and forfeit an additional $100 million a year in lost wages, sick leave, absenteeism and non-productivity.
- Domestic abuse has been linked to a wide range of societal problems; people from violent homes include 89% of violent criminals; 95% of homeless people; a large percentage of alcoholics and drug addicts; many juvenile delinquents; and a majority of welfare recipients.
Is it a problem in DuPage County?
- The DuPage County Health Department identified domestic abuse and child abuse/neglect as two of the top five major public health problems.
- DuPage crime data indicate that domestic abuse is the county’s second most prevalent offense.
Only a small percentage of domestic incidents are reported, so we know these statistics represent only the tip of the iceberg.